Mechanism of action
This selective alpha-2 adrenergic agonist reduces the aqueous humor production and thus decreases intraocular pressures.
Treatment of open angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
Instill 1 to 2 drops of apraclonidine ophthalmic solution into the affected eye(s) three times daily, 8 hours apart. Consult your doctor for dosing.
Use with caution in patients with/during:
- Severe cardiac disease, cerebrovascular disease, or coronary artery disease
- Renal impairment or damage or hepatic disease
- Pregnancy, breast feeding or in children
Common Side Effects
- Eye discomfort
- Red eyes
- Foreign body sensation in eye
- Eyelid swelling
- Dry mouth
- Burning and itching eyes
- Blurred vision
Less Common to Rare Side Effects
- Allergic reaction
- Mydriasis (dilated pupils)