Carolyn G. Begley
V 543 General Pathology
V 752 Contact Lenses II
Graduate courses in the area of cornea and contact lenses
Dr. Carolyn Begley’s clinical research has spanned a wide variety of topics in the area of cornea, contact lenses, and allergy, although her main focus in the last 12 years has been dry eye. Her training includes immunology and cell biology (NEI post-doc, 1988-89) and substantial research experience in tear film and ocular surface imaging, optics and vision, psychophysics, symptom questionnaires and sensory measures, measurement of blink rate and velocity, and fluorescence measures of the tear film. She has received numerous awards, including the Garland M. Clay Award from the American Academy of Optometry for her most cited paper, Characteristics of corneal staining in hydrogel contact lens wearers. She has served as a consultant and received numerous research grants from the major optical and pharmaceutical companies in the vision care field. She is currently funded by the National Eye Institute for a project examining tear instability as a unifying mechanism for dry eye symptoms. Dr. Begley has lectured around the world and published numerous papers and book chapters in the field of dry eye, keratoconus, ocular allergy, and contact lenses. She is a reviewer for numerous journals, including Investigative Ophthalmology and Vision Science, Optometry Vision Science, Ophthalmology, Journal of Rheumatology, and Current and Experimental Eye Research.
- Begley CG, Simpson, T, Liu H, Salvo E, Wu Z, Bradley A, Situ P. Quantitative analysis of tear film fluorescence and discomfort during tear film instability and thinning. Accepted, Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, March 2013.
- NL, Nam J, Bradley A, Liu H, Thibos LN, Begley CG. Scale and spatial distribution of optical aberrations associated with tear break-up. Optom Vis Sci, 2012; 89(11): 1590-1600.
- Chalmers RL, Begley CG, Moody K, Hickson-Curran SB. Contact Lens Dry Eye Questionnaire-8 (CLDEQ-8) and opinion of contact lens performance. Optometry and vision science 2012;89:1435-42.
- Sullivan DA, Hammitt KM, Schaumberg DA, et al. Report of the TFOS/ARVO Symposium on global treatments for dry eye disease: an unmet need. The ocular surface 2012;10:108-16.
- Guillemin I, Begley, C, Chalmers R, Baudouin C, Arnould B. Appraisal of patient-reported outcome instruments available for randomized clinical trials in Dry Eye: Revisiting the standards. The Ocular Surface 2012: 10(2): 84-99.
- Sullivan DA, Hammitt KM, Schaumberg DA, Sullivan BD, Begley CG, Gjorstrup P, Garrigue JS, Nakamura M, Quentric Y, Barabino S, Dalton M, Novack GD. Report of the TFOS/ARVO Symposium on global treatments for Dry Eye Disease: An unmet need. The Ocular Surface 2012; 10(2): 108-116.
- Abetz L, Rajagopalan K, Mertzanis P, Begley C, Barnes R, Chalmers RL. Development and validation of the impact of dry eye on everyday life (IDEEL) questionnaire, a patient-reported outcomes (PRO) measure for the assessment of the burden of dry eye on patients. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2011; 9(1): 111.
- Lui H, Thibos LN, Begley CG, Bradley. Measurement of the time course of optical quality and visual deterioration during tear break-up. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2010; 51(6): 3318-26.
- Chalmers RL, Begley CG, Caffery B. Validation of the 5-Item Dry Eye Questionnaire (DEQ-5): Discrimination Across Self-Assessed Severity and Aqueous Tear Deficient Dry Eye Diagnoses. Contact Lens Ant Eye 2010; 33 (2): 55-60.
- Jansen M, Begley CG, Himebaugh NL, Chen M. The Effect of Contact Lens Wear and a Near Task on Tear Film Break-Up. Optom Vis Sci 2010; 87 (5): 350-7.
- Liu H, Begley C, Chen M, et al. A link between tear instability and hyperosmolarity in dry eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2009;50:3671-3679.
- Himebaugh NL, Begley CG, Bradley A, Wilkinson JA. Blinking and tear break-up during four visual tasks. Optom Vis Sci 2009;86:E106-114.
- Wilson G, Horner D, Begley C, Page J. Ocular discomfort from pterygium in men and women. Eye Contact Lens 2008;34:201-206.
- Chalmers R, Long B, Dillehay S, Begley C. Improving contact-lens related dryness symptoms with silicone hydrogel lenses. Optom Vis Sci 2008;85:778-784.
- Harrison WW, Begley CG, Liu H, Chen M, Garcia M, Smith JA. Menisci and fullness of the blink in dry eye. Optom Vis Sci 2008;85:706-714.
- Fairchild CJ, Chalmers RL, Begley CG. Clinically important difference in dry eye: change in IDEEL-symptom bother. Optom Vis Sci 2008;85:699-707.
- Smith JA, Albeitz J, Begley C, Caffery B, Nichols K, Schaumberg D, Schein O. The epidemiology of dry eye disease: Report of the Epidemiology Subcommittee of the International Dry Eye WorkShop (2007). Ocular Surface, 2007, 5(2):93-107.
- Bron AJ, Bron AJ, Abelson MB, Ousler G, Pearce E, Tomlinson A, Yokoi N, Smith JA, Begley C, Caffery B, Nichols K, Schaumberg D, Schein O, Calonge M, BaudouinC, Goto E, Grus F, Paugh J. Methodologies to diagnose and monitor dry eye disease: Report of the Diagnostic Methodology Subcommittee of the International Dry Eye WorkShop (2007). Ocular Surface, 2007, 5 (2):108-52.
- Liu H, Begley CG, Chalmers RL, Srnivas S and Wilkinson J. Spatial repeatability and temporal progression of tear breakup. Optom Vis Sci 2006; 83 (10): 723-730.
- Begley CG, Himebaugh N, Renner D, Liu H, Chalmers RL, Simpson T and Varikooty J. Tear breakup dynamics: A technique for quantifying tear film instability. Optom Vis Sci 2006; 83(1) p15-21.
- Chalmers R L, Begley CB. Dryness among an unselected clinical population with and without contact lens wear. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye 2006; 29 (1): 25-30.
- Chalmers, R. L., Begley, C. G., Edrington, T., Caffery, B., Nelson, D., Snyder, C. and Simpson, T., 2005. The Agreement Between Self-Assessment and Clinician Assessment of Dry Eye Severity. Cornea 24(7), 804-810.
- Rajagopalan, K., Abetz, L., Mertzanis, P., Espindle, D., Begley, C., Chalmers, R., Caffery, B., Snyder, C., Nelson, J. D., Simpson, T. and Edrington, T. Comparing the discriminative validity of two generic and one disease-specific health-related quality of life measures in a sample of patients with dry eye. Value Health 2005; 8(2), 168-74.
- Mertzanis, P, Abetz, L, Rajagopalan, K, Espindle, D, Chalmers, R, Snyder, C, Caffery, B, Edrington, T, Simpson, T, Nelson, JD, Begley, C. The relative burden of dry eye in patients' lives: Comparisons to a U.S. normative sample. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2004; 46(1): 46-50.
- Begley CG, Chalmers RL, Abetz L, Venkataraman K, Mertzanis P, Caffery BA, Snyder C, Edrington T, Nelson D, Simpson T. The relationship between habitual patient-reported symptoms and clinical signs among patients with dry eye of varying severity. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2003: 44(11): 4753-61.
- Himebaugh, N.L., Wright, A.R., Bradley, A., Begley, C.G., and Thibos, L.N. Use of retroillumination to visualize optical aberrations caused by tear film break-up. Optometry and Vision Science 2003: 80:69-78.
- Begley CG , Caffery BA, Chalmers RL, Mitchell GL. Use of the Dry Eye Questionnaire to measure symptoms of ocular irritation in patients with aqueous deficient dry eye. Cornea 2002; 21(7): 664-70.
- Nichols JJ, Mitchell GL, Nichols KK, Chalmers RL, Begley CG. The performance of the contact lens dry eye questionnaire as a screening survey for contact lens-related dry eye. Cornea 2002; 21: 469-75.
- Shen JF, McMahon TT, Cheng L, Sugar J, Yue B, Anderson RJ, Begley CG, Zhou Z. Lysosomal hydrolase staining of conjunctival impression cytology specimens in keratoconus. Cornea 2002; 21: 447-52.
- Mitchell GL, Nichols KK, Caffery B, Chalmers R, Begley CG. Patient-reported dry eye versus doctor-diagnosed dry eye: the assessment of symptoms. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 2002; 506 (Pt B): 1189-93.
- Himebaugh NL, Thibos LN, Bradley A, Wilson G, Begley, CG. Predicting optical effects of tear film breakup on retinal image quality using the Shack-Hartmann aberrometer and computational optical modeling. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 2002; 506 (Pt B): 1141-7.
- Begley CG, Caffery B, Nichols KK, Mitchell GL. Results of a dry eye questionnaire from optometric practices in North America. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 2002; 506 (Pt B): 1009-16.
- Begley CG, Renner D, Wilson G, Al-Oliky S, Simpson T. Ocular sensations and symptoms associated with tear break-up. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 2002; 506 (Pt B): 1127-33.
- Al-Oliky S, Begley C, Lowther, G, Wilson G. Cells collected from the cornal surface in Sjogren’s Syndrome, dry eye and normals. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 2002; 506 (Pt B): 925-8.
- Begley CG, Chalmers RL, Mitchell GL, Nichols KK, Caffery BA, Simpson T, DuToit R, Portello J, Davis L. Characterization of ocular surface symptoms from optometric practices in North America. Cornea 2001;20(6): 610-618.
- Tutt R, Bradley A, Begley C, Thibos LN. Optical and visual impact of tear break-up in human eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2000;41(13):4117-23.
- Zhou J, Begley CG, Wright A, Wilson G, Tokarski T. Characterization of cells collected from the normal human ocular surface by contact lens cytology. Cornea 2000;19(6): 824-32.
- Begley CG, Caffery BC, Nichols KK, Chalmers RC. Responses of contact lens wearers to a dry eye survey. Optom Vis Sci 2000;77(1): 40-46.